Article Index

This section will summarize major available needs programs for income-eligible disabled persons:

  1. Subsidized rental housing programs
  2. Food stamps and other food assistance programs
  3. Energy assistance programs
  4. Home care assistance programs
  5. Transportation assistance programs
  6. Prescription help
  7. Other social service programs

Each major program area is specifically discussed as they are operated in Massachusetts; however, many of these programs are federally-sponsored and are available in other states (including housing, fuel assistance and food stamps). Other states will also administer their own needs programs, in a variety of areas, at both the state and local level.

In Massachusetts, there is an excellent website Mass211 which provides a wealth of information on the many different programs available to income eligible disabled and non-disabled persons. It is the website for the major Information and Referral Service for a host of human services called  Massachusetts 211.

To get connected to the help you need where you live, you simply pick up the phone and dial 211. You can get information on food banks, clothing, shelters, rent and utility assistance, medical information lines, support groups, counseling, rehabilitation, health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, unemployment benefits, financial assistance, transportation, home care, meals on wheels, respite care, homemaker services, and other services too numerous to list here You will speak to a live person, who by using your zip code can access a major data base of services closest to where you live. It is truly an excellent resource. 211 telephone assistance is  available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Besides Massachusetts, it is available in 40 states and the District of Columbia.