- Last Updated: 15 November 2015 15 November 2015
Page 5 of 6
What can I do if I suspect I have chemical sensitivities?
You can consult with a clinical ecologist—a doctor who specializes in "environmental medicine." (See the resource list at the end of this article). Or if you can't pay for the doctor, you can self-diagnose by keeping a diary that lists all your activities and symptoms. After a while, a pattern often emerges.
Throw out or remove everything that you know or suspect makes you sick. This includes any scented products (perfumes, hairspray, scented shampoos and soaps), cleaners (floor wax, furniture polish, scented laundry detergent), paints and petrochemicals, etc.(2) The best first step, especially if you live with other people, is to make a stripped-down "safe-room" out of the bedroom, where no toxins are allowed. Usually, as the triggers are removed, MCS sufferers experience a gradual (or sometimes dramatic) reduction in their symptoms.
Contact a MCS Organization that can provide you with more information and support. (See enclosed resource list at end of article).
(2) Many people with MCS react to natural gas. If one suspects MCS, s/he might want to have the gas stove and/or furnace shut off for a few days to see if her/his symptoms change.